Program 2 Social Acceptance, Public Safety & Security Of Supply
Public understanding and acceptance of major infrastructure investments, and the policy to support that infrastructure, benefits from early and effective engagement with relevant communities. Research Program 2 addresses how best to engage with the community to support good decision-making associated with future fuel infrastructure projects.
This program produces outputs that will sustain the world-class best practice safety and reliability performance of the Australian gas sector as it decarbonises. Research focuses on technical, social and organisational factors that support excellence in learning and decision-making.
Key outcomes include:
- Understanding social licence for the adoption and use of low-carbon fuels by industry users and the community.
- A balanced, trustworthy source of information to guide the safe introduction and use of future fuels.
- Optimal outcomes for companies, governments and society in the development and refitting of large energy projects and infrastructure.
- Continued world-class best practice safety and reliability performance of Australian fuel production, transmission, distribution and storage infrastructure.
- Reduced risk of major incidents associated with operation of existing and future fuel infrastructure.
- Sound policy and regulatory to support governance of low-carbon fuel technology and infrastructure to enable successful adoption, implementation and management.
Key Program Areas
Appropriate community engagement (RP2.1)Learn More
Policy solutions for new technology governance (RP2.2)Learn More
Organisational accident prevention (RP2.3)Learn More
Urban encroachment and third party interference (RP2.4)Learn More
- Lessons Learned from major infrastructure upgrades (RP2.1-01)
- A social license and acceptance of future fuels (RP2.1-02)
- Mapping Key stakeholders in Australia’s Energy Transition (RP2.1-03)
- Developing appropriate protocols for naming energy future fuels (RP2.1-04)
- Public Communication and Hydrogen as a Fuel in Australia (RP2.1-05)
- Regulatory mapping for future fuels (RP2.2-01)
- Code of Practice for pipeline engineers (RP2.3-02)
- Pipeline intrusion avoidance solutions (RP2.4-01)