Program 1 Future Fuel Technologies, Systems And Markets
Research Program 1 focuses on understanding the technical, commercial, market barriers and opportunities for the use of future fuels.
This program generates tools to model grid-scale production and delivery systems for future fuels like hydrogen and biogas. Techno-economic models of fuel production processes and supply chains will be developed to identify major technical or cost hurdles to the commercial uptake of low carbon fuels. Transformational technology will then be developed to overcome these identified issues.
Research will characterise properties of low-carbon fuels and determine how they will impact residential, commercial and industrial customers, and solutions will be developed to address these impacts.
Outcomes of Research Program 1 include:
- Viable plans to realise the full potential of low-carbon fuels in the energy supply mix; reducing investment risk in new technology and infrastructure.
- New domestic markets for reliable, cost effective low emission fuels and export opportunities.
- New technology for the production of low-carbon fuels.
- Demonstration and optimisation of low-carbon fuel technologies for Australian conditions.
- Improved reliability of the electricity market by supporting intermittent renewable generation with manufactured gases stored in existing gas infrastructure.
- New knowledge to develop appliances and equipment compatible with low-carbon fuels.
Key Program Areas
Integrated planning of fuel systems production, delivery and use (RP1.1)Learn More
Techno-economic modelling of fuel production processes and supply chains (RP1.2)Learn More
Accelerated development of early stage, breakthrough technologies (RP1.3)Learn More
Compatibility of end user equipment with future fuels (RP1.4)Learn More
- Scenario and broad-scale modelling of future energy systems (RP1.1-01)
- Regional case studies on gas and electricity system integration (RP1.1-02)
- Learning from international hydrogen roadmaps and strategies (RP1.1-03)
- Underground storage of hydrogen: mapping out the options for Australia (RP1.1-04)
- Future Fuels Production Technology – Status Review (RP1.2-01)
- Techno-economic modelling of fuel production processes (RP1.2-02)
- Assessment framework for bio-methane injection in gas networks (RP1.2-03)
- Solar Photocatalytic Hydrogen Production Technology Development (RP1.3-01)
- Novel H2/CH4 Separation Technology Development (RP1.3-02)
- Methane Pyrolysis for Hydrogen Production (RP1.3-03)
- Future fuels End-use – Type B appliances and Industrial equipment (RP1.4-02)
- Future Fuels End-use – Type A appliances Test Program (RP1.4-01)